You know that scene in The Shining when the little boy writes redrum on the wall, the camera pans to the mirror and in the reflection, you see that redrum spells out murder backwards? We get chills just thinking about it. But once those chills subsided, we thought to ourselves, "Man, RedRum sounds like a great name for a cocktail..." Thus, the RedRum cocktail was born.
Inspired by the New York Sour (a unique take on the classic Whiskey Sour that features a float of red wine), the RedRum combines aged rum, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup, cinnamon and a float of blood-red wine. It's as frighteningly easy to drink as it is to make, and the perfect sip for Halloween.
makes two drinks
- 2 Shots aged rum
- 1 Shot fresh lemon juice
- 1 Shot simple syrup (1:1 sugar and water)
- 1 Shot red wine
- 2 Sticks of cinnamon (and 2 for garnish)
- Combine aged rum, lemon juice, simple syrup and two sticks of cinnamon in the Mason Shaker.
- Add ice, cap and shake for 10 seconds.
- Strain into two rocks glasses containing ice.
- Gently pour red wine over the back of a bar spoon to create a float on each of the cocktails. Garnish with remaining cinnamon sticks.