Early fall finds us lakefront in Belfast, Maine. Warm days give way to cool evenings, and after a day of fishing and canoeing, we usher in sunset with good company and spiked hot apple cider cocktails by the water.
To make this mulled hot cider, we combine fresh apple cider with Mexican cinnamon and orange zest over an open fire. Once the cider is steaming and aromatic, we spike it with bourbon and spiced bitters to complete the perfect lakefront cocktail.
makes one cocktail
- 1.5 oz Bulleit Bourbon
- 5 oz apple cider
- 1 stick of Mexican cinnamon (plus 1 for garnish)
- 1 strip of orange zest (plus 1 for garnish)
- 3 dashes spiced bitters
- Combine apple cider, 1 stick of cinnamon and 1 strip of orange zest in a pot over high heat.
- Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add Bulleit Bourbon.
- Strain into a mug and garnish with remaining cinnamon and orange zest.